Mamma Mia Audition Requirements
Enquiries – 0408 576 705
Bookings online only
Friday 16 August 2019 – 1pm
We invite you to audition for our January 2019 production of Mamma Mia.
On a small Greek island, Sophie dreams of a perfect wedding — one which includes her father giving her away. The problem? Sophie doesn’t know who he is! Her mother Donna, the former lead singer of the 1970s pop group Donna and the Dynamos, refuses to talk about the past, so Sophie decides to take matters into her own hands. Sneaking a peek in her mother’s old diaries, she discovers three possible fathers: Sam, Bill, and Harry. She secretly invites all three to the wedding, convinced that she’ll know her father when she sees him. But when all three turn up, it may not be as clear as she thought! Told through the legendary music of ABBA, Mamma Mia! has become a worldwide sensation that has audiences everywhere dancing. Mamma Mia!
- ALL cast are to be 16 years of age by 1 December 2019.
- Auditions by appointment only
- Each Auditionee will have up to 10 minutes.
- Prepare 2 songs (1 minute of each) that present your range, characterisation in the style of the show, but not from the show. Please choose an appropriate starting point in your song you may not be required to sing the full song.
- Piano Accompaniment is provided. No CD backing tracks or unaccompanied auditions will be accepted. Note that you will have time to review this with the audition pianist prior to your audition and are asked to arrive earlier to accommodate this. Own accompanist is permitted.
- Please ensure your sheet music is clear and legible, and marked with specific cuts, repeat marks and instructions clearly highlighted and is in the correct key. No transposition will be done. Music should be taped together in correct order or presented in a non-glare display folder so there is no ambiguity or chance of pages in the wrong order or falling off the music stand.
- Please bring two copies of music.
- No on the spot transposition will be done.
- Part of your audition may involve range extension and vocal testing.
- Sheet music is available online at http://www.musicnotes.com or http://www.sheetmusicplus.com and can be easily printed via these websites.
- You may also be asked to read some lines during your vocal audition.
Audition Preparation – Dance and Movement
- Auditionees will be invited to attend a Dance/Movement audition by the company secretary, at the completion of each day.
- Some roles may not require attendance at full Dance Audition but will be invited to Movement section of call.
- Please wear appropriate clothing (that shows body shape) and footwear, Jazz shoes, jazz boots or runners. Ladies are asked to bring Chorus heels.
- All auditionees are asked to arrive 15 minutes early to fill out registration details
- Please bring a current resume
- Please bring a clear photo of yourself (non-returnable) and depicts what you currently look like.
- Requirement for on stage cast of approximately 35,
- Ensemble that will also play a variety of roles
- All Auditions will be held at The PLOS Shed – Corner Overport & Somerset Roads Frankston.
- PLOS Shed Phone Number – 0408 576 705.
- Auditions will be scheduled during period Wednesday 28 – Saturday 31 August 2019 as required. Weekday auditions will be held in the evening.
- Dance Audition will be Saturday 31 August 2019 from 1:30pm by invitation.
- Callbacks as required will be scheduled on Monday 2 September 2019 in the evening.
- Mamma Mia will be presented during the period Friday 27 December 2016 and Wednesday 8 January 2020 in the Theatre at Frankston Arts Centre.
- Performances – Tuesday 31 December 2019 – 5:00pm, Thursday 2 January 2020 – 1:30pm, Friday 3 January 2020 – 7:30pm, Saturday 4 January 2020 – 7:30pm, Sunday 5 January 2020 – 1:30pm, Monday 6 January 2020 – 7:30pm, Tuesday7 January 2020 – 7:30pm, Wednesday 8 January 2020 – 7:30pm.
- Cast will be expected to be involved in Bump In and theatre rehearsals leading up to performances.
- Rehearsals commence on Sunday 8 September 2019 at 1:00pm.
- Rehearsals are held on Monday, Thursday evenings – 7:30pm – 10:30pm and Sunday afternoons from 1pm – 5pm.
- Additional Rehearsals, or change in rehearsal times will be called by mutual agreement amongst the company, production team and cast members.
- Attendance at rehearsals is a commitment associated with being accepted into the cast of the show.
- Those selected to be in the cast of Mamma Mia will be required to become a financial member of PLOS Musical Productions.
- All Mamma Mia cast members are required to pay a Show Fee.
Full Day Rehearsals
- Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 October 2019.
- Saturday 30 November and Sunday 1 December 2019.
- Saturday 21 December 2019.
- Wednesday 18 December 2019
- The show calls for a cast that is prepared to have fun, work hard and above all show commitment.
Please note that ‘character ages’ are indicative but not necessarily prescriptive.
|Sophie Sheridan||Female||18-25||Soprano/Mezzo Soprano|
|Tanya Cresham Leigh||Female||35-50||Mezzo Soprano/Alto|
Ensemble – consists of the Islanders who work at Donna’s, wedding guests, party goers.