Audition Requirements for our January 2019 production of Shrek the Musical
Audition Bookings: Bookings open:
Call Brett – 0408 576 705 after 6pm Monday 6 August 2018
We invite you to audition for our January 2019 production of Shrek the Musical
“Once upon a time, there was a little ogre named Shrek….” And thus begins the tale of an unlikely hero who finds himself on a life-changing journey alongside a wisecracking Donkey and a feisty princess who resists her rescue. Throw in a short-tempered bad guy, a cookie with an attitude and over a dozen other fairy tale misfits, and you’ve got the kind of mess that calls for a real hero. Luckily, there’s one on hand… and his name is Shrek
Shrek – Audition Requirements/preparation
- Auditions by appointment only.
- Each auditionee will have up to 10 minutes.
- Please prepare 2 songs (approximately 1 minute of each) that present your range and characterisation in the style of the show. One up-tempo and one ballad is preferred. Please choose an appropriate starting point in your song you may not be required to sing the full song. Do not select songs from the show for your audition.
- Piano accompaniment must be provided. No backing tracks or unaccompanied auditions will be accepted. Note that you will have time to review your songs with the audition pianist prior to your audition and are asked to arrive earlier to accommodate this. Own accompanist is permitted.
- Please ensure your sheet music is clear and legible, and marked with specific cuts, repeat marks and instructions clearly highlighted and is in the correct key. No transposition will be done. Music should be taped together in correct order or presented in a non-glare display folder so there is no ambiguity, chance of pages in the wrong order or falling off the music stand
- Please bring two copies of the music.
- Part of your audition may involve range extension and vocal testing.
- Part of your audition may involve reading lines from the show.
- Sheet music is available online at http://www.musicnotes.comor http://www.sheetmusicplus.com and can be easily printed via these websites.
- For scheduling arrangements, please note any unavailablerehearsal dates on your audition paperwork.
Audition Requirements – Dance and Movement
- Auditionees will be invited to attend a Dance/Movement audition by the company secretary.
- Some roles may not require attendance at the full dance audition, but will be invited to the movement section of the call.
- Please wear appropriate clothing (that shows off body shape) and footwear e.g. jazz shoes or runners. If you have tap shoes, please bring them to the dance audition.
Audition Requirements – Adult and Children
All auditionees are asked to arrive 15 minutes early to fill out registration details.
- Child auditionees are asked to be accompanied by one adult during this registration process.
- Please bring a current resume.
- Please bring a clear photo/headshot of yourself (non-returnable) that depicts what you currently look like.
- Only auditionees and Audition panel will be permitted in audition room.
- All auditionees are asked to arrive 15 minutes early to fill out registration details
- Please bring a current resume
- Please bring a clear photo of yourself (non-returnable) and depicts what you currently look like.
- Requirement for on stage cast of approximately 30 – 35.
- All Auditions will be held at The PLOS Shed – Corner Overport & Somerset Roads Frankston.
- Audition Phone Number – 0408 576 705.
- Auditions will be scheduled on Monday 13, Tuesday 14, Wednesday 15 and Friday 17 August 2018 as required. Weekday auditions will be held in the evening.
- Dance Audition will be Sunday 19 August 2018 – 3:00 – 5:00pm by invitation.
- Callbacks as required will be scheduled on Monday 20 & Tuesday 21 August 2018 (as required) in the evening.
- Shrek The Musical will be presented in January 2019 in the Theatre at Frankston Arts Centre.
- Cast will be expected to be involved in Bump In and theatre rehearsals leading up to performances.
- Show Dates – Monday 31 December 2018 – 5.00pm, Wednesday 2 January 2019 – 7.30pm, Thursday 3 January 2019 – 1.30pm, Friday 4 January 2019 – 7.30pm, Saturday 5 January 2019 – 1.30pm, Sunday 6 January 2019 – 1.30pm, Tuesday 8 January 2019 – 7.30pm and Wednesday 9 January 2019 – 1.30pm.
- Rehearsals commence on Sunday 26 August 2018 at 1:00pm.
- Rehearsals are held on Monday, Thursday evenings – 7:30pm – 10:30pm and Sunday afternoons from 1pm – 5pm.
- Additional Rehearsals, or change in rehearsal times will be called by mutual agreement amongst the company, production team and cast members.
- Attendance at rehearsals is a commitment associated with being accepted into the cast of the show.
Full Day Rehearsals
- Saturday 27 & Sunday October
- Saturday 1 & Sunday 2 December 2018
- Sunday 16 December 2018
- Compulsory Sitz Probe is scheduled for Monday 17 December 2018 – 7:30pm – 10:30pm.
- Those selected to be in the cast of Shrek The Musical will be required to become a financial member of PLOS Musical Productions.
- All Shrek The Musical cast members are required to pay a Show Fee.
- The show calls for a cast that is prepared to have fun, work hard and above all show commitment.
Adult Roles – Over 16 years of age
Our story’s title character. A big, green, terrifying ogre who lives alone on a swamp. He embarks on a journey to rid his land of fairytale creatures and, along the way, falls in love with Fiona. Begins as a grumpy hermit, but reveals his many layers, like and onion, and eventually becomes the hero. Strong character (Scottish accent), vocal and comedy ability.
Age to look: 20 to 40
The beautiful princess of Far Far Away, she transforms into an ogre every night when the sun sets. Rescued by Shrek and eventually falls in love with him. Quirky, blunt, and multitalented, she is not an ordinary princess. Strong character, vocal, comedy and dance ability.
Age to look: 20 to 40
A talking donkey who joins Shrek on the run from Farquaad’s guards. Quite the chatterbox, he is not deterred by Shrek’s looks and practically forces himself into his good graces. Easily frightened and pushy, but also an optimistic with heart. Strong character, vocal and comedy ability.
Age to look: 20 to 35
The comically short, ruthless ruler of Duloc. He is in search of a princes to marry so that he can become king. Has an intensely unfair bias against fairytale creatures that stems from a resentment of his father. Self-absorbed, egotistical, lonely, and cruel. Actor does not have to be short, this part is played on your knees and will be physically demanding. Strong vocal and comedic ability.
Age to look: 30 to 45
The following parts may be doubled up and also be part of the Ensemble.
A dragon that has been charged with guarding Princess Fiona in her isolated castle. She eventually falls in love with Donkey and attempts to keep him there forever. Imposing and flirtatious, but tired of her job as the glorified baby-sitter. This part will be the voice provided to a large puppet.
Age: 25 to 45
A gingerbread man initially kidnapped by Lord Farquaad. His wit and resolution help him both avoid trouble and inspire the rest of the fairytale creatures. Puppet. Can be operated by actress appearing as Sugar Plum Fairy.
Age: 20 to 40
The leader of the fairytale creatures. He is an animated puppet whose nose grows every time he lies. Plenty of sass with a penchant for lying. Falsetto Voice.
Age: 16 to 40
Fairytale Creatures (Big Bad Wolf, Three Little Pigs, White Rabbit, Fairy Godmother, Peter Pan, Wicked Witch, Ugly Duckling, Three Bears, Mad Hatter, Humpty Dumpty, Elf, Dwarf, Three Blind Mice); Angry Mob; Happy Duloc People; Guards; Knights; Rats
Children’s Roles – Under 16 years of age
These roles are open to auditionees under 16 years of age.
See adult descriptions of characters
Age to look: 7 years
Young Fiona 2 Roles
1/ Age to look: 7 years
2/ Age to look: 13 years
Vocal Ranges for specific Characters
Shrek Vocal Ranges